Tuesday 27 October 2015

Episode 2 - Gary


Hours later, after their tryst and dishes of Romano’s delicious pasta, Gary drove Cleo home.
“Let’s do this again soon, Cleo.”
“Sure. We need to keep in touch about Laura,” said Cleo.
“That, too. I need you, Cleo.”
“I had noticed.”
“Don’t you want to ditch that butcher guy and do what you really want to do?”
“I can’t, Gary. It’s my cottage and his old flat is not vacant.”
“I can wait however long it takes.”
“Maybe you are just infatuated with me, Gary.”
“Rubbish. Are you with me?”
“No. Je t’aime.”
“That’ll do for a start,” said Gary. “Phone me if you think of something.”
“I can get tomorrow lunchtime off.”
“I’ll keep you to that.”
***
Cleo was still deep in thought hours later when Robert came in. He was anxious about her. Had Laura’s murder been a mistake? Should Cleo have been knifed in the back instead?
Cleo tried to calm him down, but she could still feel Gary’s body close to hers and her own longing for him was intense. How could she sleep in the same bed as Robert when all she wanted was the passion and intimacy she had shared with Gary? Robert was unaware of Cleo’s affair, of course. He plodded on with his talk of the morning’s incident at Cleo’s office.
“I went to your office, but you had left,” he said.
“I told you I had to identify Laura at HQ.”
Cleo wondered what Chris could possibly have said to Robert.
“That’s what the forensic team said. Then I started thinking. Do you think Jason could have killed his mother, Cleo?"
"I'd like to think he didn't."
“Well, keep away from your office for a bit,” Robert advised. “Just in case someone is out to get you.”
“They’d get me somewhere else if they wanted to, Robert but I intend to keep away from the office at least until that carpet is cleaned.”  
“I’ll make some coffee, Robert offered, and Cleo asked herself what she would have done if Robert had turned up at HQ, or worse still, at Romano’s.
***
The next compelling issue was how to break the news of Laura’s murder to Dorothy. Dorothy and Laura had never been close friends, but had known each other for decades. Lately, they had both been members of Upper Grumpsfield parish council, though Cleo could not say why Laura Finch was involved since she lived in Lower Grumpsfeild, unless Dorothy had organized it. Laura had sometimes behaved quite badly at the meetings, but ingratiated herself with the vicar, Frederick Parsnip, who in return complimented her by kow-towing. Observing the tension between Dorothy and Laura, Mr Parsnip had made it a mission in life to patch things up between the two, though he did not know why they were not getting on like a house on fire since they shared the same passion for music. He had not been put in the picture about the true situation in Laura's chorus, though he had been informed by Dorothy of some rather callous behaviour behind Laura's back, which she had observed during rehearsals whenever she found herself accompanying one at the piano.
Things had come to a head the night of the Finch Nightingales’ debut concert in Upper Grumpsfield, which was accompanied by the St Peter’s church organist, Mr Morgan. Quite unconnected with the Chorus’s excruciating singing, part of St Peter's bell tower had come crashing down during the interval (which proved it could not be singing!) and the concert had ended prematurely in an outbreak of panic among the audience and a hasty retreat by the chorus.
The calamity had proved a bad omen for Laura Finch. She would have been appalled had she known that Mr Morgan, who had of late been accompanying her chorus rehearsals when he wasn't flirting with the ladies who were susceptible to his kind of cajoling flattery, was headhunting the ladies and planning to restart the chorus under his direction at the earliest opportunity.
Perhaps she had known, Cleo speculated. That, rather than a row with Jason, might have been the cause of her heavy drinking.
Dorothy had once hinted that Laura might have an alcohol problem, but at the time, Cleo had thought it unlikely. How shrewd Dorothy was. The question now was whether Laura's relapse into alcohol abuse had ultimately led to her death. Had she discharged herself from the hospital? Had someone been waiting for her? Was that someone Jason?
Cleo did not want to think the thoughts that went in the direction of Jason taking revenge for past humiliations. Her own investigations had up to now been of misdemeanours rather than crimes, although she had to admit that she had stuck her neck out in the business with the fraudulent bishop that had nearly cost Upper Grumpsfield its parish church. The culprits in that incident were either dead or in prison and the case was closed. A murder case was not what Cleo wanted now or ever.
There was something else that she would have to consider carefully in the light of what else she knew about Laura and she would like to talk about it with Dorothy. Could the mysterious woman that Julie had observed three days previously have something to do with Laura’s death?  
"A penny for your thoughts, Cleo."
"That woman in London…."
“What woman?”
“Julie spotted Jason with a woman who looked quite like him.”
“Do you mean that Julie is in on this, too?”
“Only marginally. Stop fussing, Robert.”
“I can’t. Now I have a daughter, I don’t want to lose her again.”
“I’ll just phone Gary Hurley and remind him to get moving on that.”
“Do that, Cleo. It’s his case, not yours.”
“That remains to be seen,” said Cleo.
The phone call to Gary was in truth a tactical gesture.
Gary was reassuring having guessed that it was part of the act Cleo was putting on for Robert’s benefit. Gary would have preferred to kick him out of the cottage.
"We'll get onto it right away and I'll let you know what we find out," he said with all the formality of an officer on duty.
Cleo suspected that Gary had used exactly those words hundreds of times to strangers and smiled to herself.
"I'll have to tell Dorothy what has happened, Gary."
"Do that today, Cleo. The press will not hold the news back…."
"Sure."
"And don't do any investigating of your own. We're dealing with murder and murderers often have nothing to lose."
"You're right, Gary. This is too close for comfort."
“Just a mo....”
Gary had to answer his office phone, leaving Cleo hanging on to her mobile and Robert, who had been listening in, telling her Gary was giving her sound advice.  "That was pathology," Gary explained, resuming his phone call with Cleo. "Would you mind officially identifying the body again? Just for the records. We already know it was her, of course."
"OK, but. I thought once was enough.”
“It usually is, but I should have recorded it and there should have been an independent witness.”
“OK. What time? Do you want me to bring Dorothy or Robert? He’s listening in. Do you want to talk to him?”
That was definitely a warning not to say anything amorous!
“No need. Late morning, please.”
“I’ll be there.”
 "Another visit to pathology, Cleo?" said Robert. "It's getting to be a habit."
"But there's only one Laura Finch. You heard why I have to identify her again."
Robert seemed satisfied with that reply.  Cleo noted that he was turning into a control freak.
"Did they ever find out which of those two Rossi women was which?" said Robert referring to the case involving Cleo’s mother.
At this point, Gary chipped in.
“To answer your question: No! The two women were identical twins, not just cousins. Bad luck for forensics. And we could not pin their deaths on anyone with any degree of certainty, either. Jabs with poisoned syringes are the work of syndicates we can't get at and bombs can be planted by anyone under cover of darkness."
"So the offenders are running around scot free?"
"We hope not. We got the most likely suspects on other charges."
"It's just that…."
"If they wanted revenge, it would be on Cleo’s mother, Robert. She was involved in the case, not Cleo."
"Are you sure that lets me out, Gary?" said Cleo.
"Nobody's sure of anything in this job. All that counts are facts, and they are often hard to come by."
Robert went into the kitchen to get the dinner started. He was trying to remember why he had encouraged Cleo to go ahead with opening an office and sleuthing professionally. He could kick himself for having done so.
Cleo finished the phone call with Gary, and phoned Dorothy.
"It's Cleo here. I need to talk to you."
"I'm glad you caught me. I was just about to visit Laura. I'm really worried about her."
"Wait for me, Dorothy. I'll be right over."
"You don't sound good, Cleo. Is something wrong?"
"Just wait for me. I'll be with you in a couple of minutes."
“OK. You needn’t shout.”
***
Since the two cottages were only about 100 yards apart, that was no exaggeration, but neither Cleo nor Dorothy normally popped in and out of each other's homes.
Dorothy sensed the urgency in Cleo's voice. Cleo did not normally shout or sound panicky.
Cleo told Robert that she would have to support Dorothy when she told her about Laura.
Dorothy was standing in her doorway looking anxious when Cleo arrived.
"There you are. You look terrible, Cleo."
"Let's go in, shall we?"
"I've put the percolator on. You need some strong coffee."
Dorothy led the way into the kitchen and Cleo squeezed herself behind the little table. She was twice Dorothy's sinewy size. At 70-something, Dorothy still had the figure of a young girl. Her wiry grey hair was done up in a sort of bun; her eyes were dark and alert. 
"Go on then, Cleo. Spit it out!"
Dorothy was an ardent watcher of late- night gangster movies, especially the black and white variety populated by gangsters and other shady characters, when liquor had been fought for and the only women shown were gangsters molls. She had picked up quite a lot of jargon, which she thought more expressive than middle-class la-di-da.
No point in beating around the bush with her. Better get straight to the point.
"Laura has been murdered."
Dorothy, known to nearly everyone as Miss Price, with the emphasis on the 'Miss', swung round and looked at Cleo in horror.
"Murdered? When? Why? How?"
"When I got to my new office this morning…."
"Oh, I'm so sorry, Cleo. I haven't asked you how it went."
"It didn't go anywhere, Dorothy. When I opened up I almost fell over Laura Finch's corpse."
"Are you sure it was Laura?"
"It was her all right. She was lying face up on the ground. When the paramedics turned her over, they saw that she'd been stabbed in the back three times."
Cleo thought Dorothy was taking it in her stride. She filled the coffee cups and fetched a carton of fresh cream to top them up. Then she flopped down and propped her elbows up on the table.
"Poor Laura. I expect Middlethumpton constabulary was there in a jiffy."
Cleo thought it better not to say anything about Gary.
"Sure. Forensic experts rushed from HQ and trampled all over my new velour carpet, dispersing the blood that had soaked into it under Laura's body."
"How horrible!"
"The office is sealed off pending further investigation, but it's already clear that she was killed somewhere else. I identified her on the spot and will confirm that when I go to HQ tomorrow morning. I don't think you would want to do that so I won’t ask you to go with me."
"I didn't always get on with Laura very well, but the last thing I wanted for her was such a brutal end and I’ll come with you if you want me to."
“Do you want to see Laura in that state, Dorothy?”
“Not really. It won’t of much use. I was not very friendly with Laura recently. I wanted to make it up, but didn’t.,” said Dorothy, sadly. “I’d rather remember her throwing her weight about.”-
"But the police will want to question you, Dorothy. Can you think of anything you'd rather I knew first?"
Dorothy gave it careful thought. There were so many contradictions in Laura's biography that it was impossible to judge what was true and what was make-believe.
"When did you last see her?" Cleo asked.
"She came for a cup of tea a few days ago. She wasn't quite sober, Cleo. Some silly excuse about meeting up with old friends. She said she was going home to sleep it off. That's why I was going there now. I didn't believe the story about the friends and she'd promised to phone me about helping her get a new choir going, but she didn't."
“At least you parted on friendly terms, Dorothy. Did Laura say who the old friends were?”
“That’s the point, Cleo. She did not have any old friends, or new ones for that matter.”
“But she may have had an assignation, Dorothy.”
“We can’t rule that out, but she did not say anything about one.”
"Did you notice anything different about her?"
"She came here, so I can't say if the bungalow was in the same chaotic state as last time I went there. Her clothes were not as clean as they could have been. I was a bit surprised about that since she always dressed up when she went out. She didn't say anything that really bothered me, but she seemed nervous and I think she really wanted to tell me something, but didn't get around to it."
"Do you think she was frightened of someone, Dorothy?"
"You know, or rather knew Laura. She was never frightened. Always went on the offensive if anything was amiss. Remember how she behaved at some of those parish meetings?"
"Only too well. She could be really rude, couldn't she?"
"But sometimes quite hilarious," said Dorothy, "especially when she'd had a drink or two."
"You think Laura drank habitually, don’t you?"
"Yes, I do. But that's not a reason for killing someone."
"We'll know more about her state of inebriation after the autopsy."
"What was she doing in your office, Cleo?"
"She wasn't doing anything. She was dead before she was deposited there."
"So it could be a case of mistaken identity, couldn't it?"
"I don’t think so. I was in the office earlier in the evening and no one accosted me then. And Laura could not be mistaken for me!"
"Or was it somebody out of her past, Cleo? I don't think any of us knew her properly, including me. That business with Jason, for instance. That was a terrible thing to do."
"You don't think…."
"I don't know what to think."
"Do you have a key to Laura's bungalow, Dorothy?"
"Yes. She had no one else to leave it with. She was afraid she might lock herself out."
"Do you think we could take a look inside before the police get there?"
"Wouldn’t that be illegal now she’s dead?"
"We'd be trespassing, I suppose."
"Not if I'm watering the plants at a window and you just happened to be looking at the house from the outside. You spotted me and came in to tell me what had happened. But we'd better wear gloves and go there separately."
Cleo couldn't help smiling. Those late-night movies had had a big influence on Dorothy's attitude to crime. She was glad they had been working together on the little problem of the mobbing in Laura's chorus, though they hadn’t managed to get to the bottom of the intrigue. Dorothy was shrewd, but she had a vivid imagination – sometimes too vivid. She was, however, was more familiar with the provincial mentality of a lot of those women than a Chicago-born sociologist could ever be.
Although Cleo had been accepted as a useful member of the Upper Grumpsfield community, she was still American at heart. Her dark complexion was clear evidence of her mixed parentage. Both she and Dorothy had recognized that there were things Dorothy could do better and Dorothy's pensioner status was an additional bonus. Who would suspect a retired pianist of gathering evidence? And Dorothy was glad of the fees Cleo was paying her for assisting in investigations. Dorothy had already narrowed down the number of suspects in the mobbing case. What a pity Laura had not lived to see the fruits of her labours.
"I think I should ring Frederick Parsnip," Dorothy decided, getting up. "He should know. Laura had started to go to church here, so he'll be in charge of her funeral service."
"Phone him, Dorothy, but don't tell him what's happened. Just say you'd like to drop in later. You know what he's like. He'd spill the beans immediately."
"Oh yes. Frederick can't keep a secret to save his life."
"We'll go to Laura's place quite casually, as if we did not know about her fate. Someone might be peering through their net drapes. We don't want to arouse any suspicion," said Cleo.
"You think of everything. I think I'm a little out of my depth."
"No you're not, Dorothy. I'm amazed how composed you are."
"Not on the inside, Cleo. I'm in pieces on the inside."
Cleo hugged Dorothy. It had been more of a shock to her than it at first appeared.
"I'll go home quickly and get my camera and some gloves. Let's meet in 20 minutes at the house."
Apart from wanting to be properly equipped for their investigation, Cleo wanted to leave Dorothy alone to dry the tears that were welling up as the true awfulness of the situation sank in.
"Just keep calm on the phone, Dorothy, or we'll have Mr Parsnip coming here to see what's wrong."
"You're right. I'll make something up about the Christmas show. On the other hand, he can never smell a rat, even if it's on a plate in front of him."
Pondering on that extraordinary statement, Cleo rushed home. It was nearly supper time.
“It’ll have to wait, Robert,” she explained.
“Where are you going?”
“To water Laura’s plants with Dorothy.”
“Do you want me to tell that cop if he rings?”
“Heavens no! Tell him I’m in the tub. I can phone him back later.”

No comments:

Post a Comment